Beaches, mountains, and deserts are frequently at the top of our holiday list. Have you ever wondered of fleeing to a lush green forest, living near a river, feeling young and free while literally spotting a diverse range of flora and fauna? If you haven’t heard of the Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary in Karnataka, you’re in for a treat since it’s a hidden gem that’s ideal for your next summer vacation!
Before we get into everything from the best Dandeli wildlife Sanctuary tourist attractions to the best accommodation, keep in mind that this isn’t just a destination for wildlife enthusiasts. It’s as much as a paradise for nature admirers, as it is for offbeat backpack travelers and adventure seekers.
Check The Best Time To Visit.. Kudlu Falls Near Udupi – Greatest Pleasant Waterfall Must-Visit From Bangalore
Everything here is amazing, from the trees that provide food for the birds to the plants that are respected for their medicinal or healing characteristics. Before you start arranging your vacation, there are a few things you should know about the sanctuary.
- It is the state’s second largest wildlife sanctuary, located in Karnataka.
- It is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna, including elephants, deers, antelopes, reptiles, and birds, in addition to tigers.
- The Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary is also a bird lover’s dream, with over 300 kinds of birds breeding in the forest.
- This sanctuary is ideal for both an adventure-packed vacation and a restorative respite in the lap of nature, whether it’s white water rafting, bird viewing, or wildlife photography.
- It is not difficult to get here because it is well connected to rail and road networks, making it accessible to travelers from all over the world.
- The refuge is home to sloth bears, barking deer, and Malabar giant squirrels, among other exotic creatures.
- One could truly experience the thrill of living in the forest thanks to the different Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary accommodation options.
Place – North Kannada district, Karnataka
Nearest town – Dandeli (37.5 kms)
Main attraction – Black panther
How to Reach
- Road – Dandeli is well connected to nearby cities by road. It is 56 kilometers from Dharwad, 72 kilometers from Hubli, 87 kilometers from Belgaum, 102 kilometers from Karwar, 98 kilometers from Goa, and 460 kilometers from Bangalore.
- Air – Belgaum has the nearest airport. Air Deccan flies to Belgaum, Goa, and Hubli on a regular basis from Mumbai and Bangalore. Flights are available on a daily basis with Kingfisher Airlines.
- Rail – The nearest railway station is at Dharwad.
Best Time To Visit Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary
- October to May.
The weather is good and then moderate during this time, allowing many birds to fly back and rest in their nests, as well as many animals to leave their homes.
Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary Timings
- 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM (Sunday to Saturday
- If you want to tour the sanctuary thoroughly and at your own leisure, a visit of 7 to 8 hours is recommended.
Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary Entry Fees
- INR 40 for Indians
- INR 80 for foreigners
- If you want to bring your camera and utilize it for photography, you’ll need to purchase a ticket for INR 100.
Flora And Fauna Of Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary
If you’re looking for a close experience with nature, Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary is the place to go. The sanctuary is home to bamboo and teak plantations, as well as deciduous trees. Crocodiles, black panthers, elephants, Indian sloth bears, amphibians, birds, and reptiles are among the animals that can be seen. The Malabar pied hornbill and Indian hornbill are two of the bird species that can be found in this sanctuary.
Things To Do In Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary That Aren’t Found Anywhere Else
1. Jungle Safari
The Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary safari is an adrenaline-pumping adventure that you must partake in while you’re here. In an open jeep, one is driven through dense foliage to the harsh forests, where bison and malabar giant squirrels are more abundant than any other creatures. It’s the ideal activity for making you feel young and free.
Timings – 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM and 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Price – INR 50 to INR 500 per person (depends on the type of safari you take) and INR 150 for a guide
2. Coracle Ride
It’s not your average horseback ride, but rather a thrilling adventure that will send shivers down your spine. One is hurled like a doll over the rapids in a robust saucer-shaped coracle made of bamboo and tanned buffalo leather. While bird watching is lovely at this time of year, the sight of crocodiles lazing in the sun will get your blood pumping.
Timings – 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Price – INR 100 per person
3. Moonlight Boat Ride
A moonlight boat ride is the most dreamlike experience Dandeli has to offer. It’s a great pastime for couples and even better for nature lovers. It can be used in conjunction with night vision binoculars to catch up on all the nocturnal action in the jungle, enriching one’s holiday experience.
Price – NA
4. White Water Rafting
If you’re in the south and looking for some adventure, this Dandeli activity is for you. Whether it’s a nine-kilometer run that takes four hours or a shorter one, the pleasure of plunging up and down the river remains the same.
Timings – 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM
Price – INR 950 to INR 1,500 per person
Places To Visit Near Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kavala Caves
- Syntheri Rocks
- Tribal Villages
Best Places to Stay in Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary and near region
1. Kali Adventure camp
Address – Kogilban, Dandeli 581325 India
TripAdvisor Rating – 4/5
Price – INR 2,000 to INR 5,900
2. Dandeli Jungle Resort
Address – Old Dandeli, Dandeli, Karnataka 581325, India•+91 95918 82608
TripAdvisor Ratings- 4.7/5
Price – INR 1600
- Try to visit this place between October and May, as this is the optimum time to do so.
- Check the weather forecast and pack appropriately.
- Wear sturdy shoes and bring a flashlight, a good camera, bug repellant, sunscreen, and any necessary medicines and toiletries.
- Keep an eye out for crocodiles and don’t make too much noise on the coracle voyage.
- In Dandeli, the natural Jacuzzi experience is a one-of-a-kind activity. Don’t let this opportunity pass you by!
- During your jungle tour, keep your eyes peeled for wildlife and your camera ready to capture it on camera.
While it may not be one of the most well-known tourist destinations on the map, believe us when we say that it is the perfect spot to be if all you want to do is experience a little excitement, go on an adventure, see the best of nature, and relax with your loved ones! Do you want to visit Karnataka right now? Remember to bring your polaroids with you to capture all of your memories!