If you’re planning a trip to Karnataka?. May be you would start your exploration from Bangalore, or you might visit a coastal destination like Gokarna. Wandering traveler, why think beyond these mainstream places to visit in Coorg in November when you can have more like Abbey falls, Chiklihole Reservoir, Dubare Elephant Camp, Mandalpatti Trek?
Some of the most fun places to visit near Coorg for an exciting and memorable trip to Karnataka. Coorg is one of the best tourist places in India so take a look below for some of best locations and plan your trip to the ‘Scotland of India’. Coorg is the most affluent hill station in Karnataka, Also known as Kodagu. It is famous for its breathtakingly exotic scenery and lush greenery. Forest covered hills, spice and coffee plantations only add to the landscape. Madikeri is the region’s centre point with all transportation for getting around starting from here. On a visit to Coorg, Also visit the beautiful towns like Virajpet, Kushalnagara, Gonikoppal and Pollibetta, and experience the beautiful concept of “Homestays” to make your experience more memorable!
Also Check Out For, Mysore Palace – Best Picnic Spot Near Mysore
Best Places To Visit In Coorg
1. Abbey falls
Abbey falls is also called as abbi falls. Abbey Falls, located near Madikeri, is a perfect place to visit in Coorg not only for nature enthusiasts but for shutterbugs as well. The sight of water falling from a cliff with a height of 70 feet, surrounded by lush greenery is indeed a sight that will behold everyone’s attention. The waterfall is a combination of many streams that come together and fall into a pool of water that flows and merge into River Kaveri. The scenic grandeur of Abbey Falls increases by many folds in monsoon. During Monsoon, the stream of water becomes thicker with louder roar. Adding to it is the richer greenery around, which does create sight of a lifetime.
Abbey Falls Coorg Address: Madikeri, Hebbettageri, Coorg, Karnataka, 571234, India
Timings: 9 AM to 5Pm ( Monday to Sunday)
- 15 per person
- 10 – 50 for Vehicle Parking Fee
Best Time To Visit
- During Mansoon season
- July to October.
- Post monsoon is also an ideal time to visit the falls
How to reach
- Located at a distance of 8 km from Madikeri, Abbey Falls can be reached by road from Madikeri. From Madikeri, the travellers needs to go through Galibeedu road to reach the location, from where they will need to walk on foot.
- One can either hire a taxi from top car rental companies in coorg or drive in their own vehicle from madikeri.
- For reaching Madikeri, there are many modes of transportation from cities nearby. If you are travelling by road, Many regular private and KSRTC buses are available fom Bangalore, Mysore and Mangalore.
- In case, if you are travelling by train, then you can get down at Mysore railway station, which is the nearest railway station to Abbey Falls. From Mysore you can either hire a taxi directly to Abbey Falls or take a bus to Madikeri
- Club Mahindra Madikeri Resort
Address: Galibeedu, Road, Madikeri, Karnataka 571204,India
Phone: +91 96111 92401
- Abbydhama Estate Stay
Address: Abbyfalls Road, Madikeri, Karnataka 571201, India
Phone: +91 78294 88829
Things to remember while visiting Abbey Falls
- While visiting during Abbey falls, traveller must be careful of the slippery roads, small insects and leeches
- To reach the bottom of falls, one has to climb stairs hence it is advisable to keep your medical aid handy if in case you suffer from any breathing ailment
2. Chiklihole Reservoir
Located in between Madikeri and Kushalnagar, Chiklihole Reservoir is a place worth visiting once on your Coorg tour. It is approximately 15 km away from Kushalnagar and Madikeri. The nearest town to the Reservoir is Nanjarayapattana.
The reservoir has been made on one of the tributaries of the River Cauvery. Although the place is not as popular as other tourist spots of Coorg, it offers some good moments to its visitors. t makes for a great picnic spot and thus wonderful for family outing as well. View of the sunset from here is exceptionally captivating and mustn’t be missed if you are at the reservoir. It offers amazing photographic opportunities.
Address: Chiklihole Reservoir, Attur Forest, Karnataka, 571234, India
Timing: 8 AM to 5PM (Monday to Sunday)
Entry Fee: No Entry fee
Best Time to visit
- June to March
- The season of monsoon
- Winter is best not just because of the pleasant climate but also the dam has more water at this point of time.
How To Reach
- The two nearest airports to the Chiklihole reservoir are the Mangalore airport and the Mysore airport at a distance of 166 km and 116 km respectively. From there one can take a bus or book a private cab to reach the reservoir.
- The nearest railway station is located at Mysore. Tourists can avail the state buses or book a Mysore to Coorg car rental for a hassle free trip.
- If visiting from Kushalnagar, Siddapur or Suntikoppa, one can book a private cab from top car rental companies in coorg to reach the dam as the Chiklihole dam is not connected by public transport system.
- Coorg Dew Drops Resort & Spa
Address – Girgur road Near Golden Temple, Kushalnagar 571324 India
- Paddington Resort And Spa, Coorg
Address – 7th Hosakote, Thondoor Village, Suntikoppa Post Coorg, Somvarpet 571237 India
Also Check Out For, Top Sights In Shivanasamudra Near Mysore – Best Weekend Gateway
3. Dubare Elephant Camp
Dubare Elephant Camp is one of the most famous tourist spots in Coorg. It attracts hordes of tourists from everywhere. The elephant camp boasts of plenty of elephants and offers tourists with an exceptional opportunity to be close to them and spend some memorable moments with them.
Dubare Elephant Camp Coorg Entry Fee
- 5,335 Rs per room per night for Indians (River View Cottage)
- 8,120 Rs per room per night for foreign tourists (River View Cottage)
- 4,720 Rs per cottage per night for Indians (Cottage)
- 7,400 Rs per cottage per night for foreign tourists (Cottage)
- 1,310 Rs per person for Indians (Day Visit)
- 2,250 Rs per person for foreign tourists (Day Visit)
- 670 Rs per person for Indians (Elephant Camp Activities)
- 1,447 Rs per person for foreign tourists
9:00 am – 11:00 am
4:30 pm – 5:30 pm (Monday to Sunday)
Phone: 0821 2444 444
Address: Kushalanagar, Coorg District, Nanjarayapatna, Karnataka, 571234, India
Activities at Dubare Elephant Camp
- Visitors can go for three hour elephant interaction at the Dubare Elephant Camp.
- Other activities like 45 minute bath in the River Cauvery where tourists can give bath to elephants, feeding them with ragi, jaggery, sugarcane, banana and coconuts.
- 45 minute elephant ride into the jungle makes your visit at the Camp a memorable one.
Where to stay at Dubare Elephant Camp
There are cottages located at the camp presenting tourists with the ultimate experience to be amidst best of natural settings. As there is no electricity here, there are arrangements of the generator.
How to Reach
- The nearest airport to Dubare Elephant Camp is Mangalore Airport, at a distance of 180 km. From there one can take a bus or hire a taxi to reach the camp.
- The nearest railway station to Coorg is Mysore Railway Station which is located at a distance of 100 km. From there, one can book a Mysore to Coorg cab to reach the place.
- Also, there are many private and state run buses from the nearby cities and towns for Dubare.
4. Mandalpatti Trek
Mandalpatti is a popular tourist spot. A lush green mesmerising place, Mandalpatti has recently become popular amongst tourists. The place is way from the hustle bustle and offers some seclusion and calmness. It is perfect place to go for trekking. However, to go for trekking, one is required to take entrance tickets from the authorities at the base of Mandalpatti.
Address: Raja Seat Road, Madikeri, Karnataka, 571201, India
- 25 Rs per person
- 1500 Rs for Jeep ride
Timings: 6 AM to 6 PM (Monday to Sunday)
Best Time to Visit: November to January
How to Reach
- Train – Amongst other railway stations, Mangalore Central Railway Station is the major one. Subrahmanya Road Railway Station is the nearest station for local trains.
- Road – From Mangalore, hills of Mandalpatti are at a distance of 211 km; from Bangalore, it is at 284 km distance, and from Coimbatore, it is at a distance of 351 km. You will need approximately 6 hours each to reach Mandalpatti from Mangalore and Bangalore.
- Bus – Amongst all the bus stops, Shivamogga Bus Terminal is the major one lying close to the Mandalpatti Hills. It is well-connected with other cities. To reach your exact location, you need to take a local bus which will drop you at Madikeri Bus Stand
Places to Stay
- Coorg Tree House: Coorg Tree House offers isolated peaceful stay. Kitchenette, housekeeping, bathroom, Wi-Fi, and parking are the necessary facilities here.
- Thelma’s Coorg Chalet:This is a non-ac family stay place for your entire family. Power backup, washing machine, free parking, housekeeping, bathroom, Wi-Fi, and washing machine availability are some necessary facilities here.
Places to Eat
- Barbecue Bay: Barbecue Bay serves mouth-watering Indian and Barbecue meals. This is a vegetarian-friendly restaurant with a pleasant ambience and friendly atmosphere.
- Big cup Café: This café offers vegetarian meals and varieties of coffee. The ambiance of Bigcup Café is a pleasing one, and the staff is quite co-operative and hardworking.
Tips for Visiting Mandalpatti
- In case you are travelling all the way on foot, stay in groups, or get along with other trekking companions.
- Travel less on the day when you are about to trek to the Mandalpatti summit.
- Prefer to wear comfortable dress while trekking.
- As per the Mandalpatti Forest Department’s instructions, you are not allowed to drive your private vehicle to the topmost position.
- The hilltop usually gets colder and breezy. It is, therefore, advisable to avoid bringing your infants with you.
5. Mallalli Falls
The stunning milky-white Mallalli Falls finds abode in the north of Kodagu region is the pride of Karnataka, India. The cascading falls seated 26 km off Somwarpet right at the base of the Pushpagiri Hills leave tourists mesmerized with its beauty and splendour. It starts from where the Kumaradhara River takes an extreme dive of more than 1000 m and then takes a natural course leading to the Arabian Sea. Take in the beauty and behold the sights of the verdant jungles, the surrounding scenery, and the river diving deep from the origin of Mallalli Falls.
Best Time To Visit: June to September
Timings: 9 am to 5 pm throughout the week
Entry fee: No entry fee
Places to Eat Near Mallalli Falls
- Saphali Family Restaurant: You can eat at this restaurant in Somwarpet serving both Indian and Chinese food. The place also serves local cuisines and wine.
- Kaveri Hotel: Located on the Mallalli Waterfalls Road, this restaurant is easy on your wallet and known for its vegetarian dishes. You need to order one hour in advance if you want non-vegetarian food.
Tip for Visiting Mallalli Falls
- Since monsoon is the best time to visit Mallalli Falls, carry spare clothes, raincoats, and hiking pole. You will require clothes if it starts to pour or you are wet due to the drizzle of the waterfall.
- Wear the right trekking gear.
- Make sure you wear tough hiking boots, as there are leeches in the jungles as well as marshes, particularly during the monsoon.
- Carry medicines and a first-aid box.
- Walk carefully when ascending the steps towards the fall.
- Park your car or vehicles in a responsible way on the Kalahali Road.
- Avoid leaving your phones, camera, or other expensive items in the parked vehicles.
6. Omkareswara Temple
Omkareshwara temple was built in 1820 by King Lingarajendra II as act of penance. It is located in madikeri or coorg. The temple was built in the Muhammadan style of architecture consisting of a dome in center. Its four corners are surrounded by four turrets. Near the entrance door of the temple, a linga has been installed. Another attractive architectural feature of the temple is the water tank in front, which is inhabited by various different varieties of fish.
Address: State Highway 88, Stuart Hill, Madikeri, Coorg, Karnataka, 571201, India
Entry Fee: No Entry fee
6:30 am – 12:00 pm
5:00 pm – 8:00 pm (Monday to Sunday)
Following are the Pooja schedules of the Omkareshwara Temple. Devotees and travellers can plan their visit accordingly.
- Abhisheka – 6:30 AM to 6:45 AM
- Ganga Pooja – 7:00 AM
- Maha Pooja – 12:00 noon
- Maha Pooja – 8:00 PM
How to reach
- If travelling by road, tourists can opt for private or KSRTC buses which run regularly from cities like Bangalore, Mysore, Virajpet and Mangalore.
- Madikeri doesn’t have any railway station. So if you are planning to travel by railways then you will need to get down at Mysore or Hassan, Kasargod and Kannur which are nearest railway stations.
If you are planning a trip, then Coorg (Madikeri) is the place that should be on your list. You can just not miss the magnificent beauty of this place. Nature lovers who are looking for a spot away from the crowded cities, this is the best place for you. Surrounded by breathtaking hills and valleys, Madikeri is also called Kashmir of South.